Sunday, July 3, 2011

Giant Kiwi rugby prop saves her life but cracks her rib in the process...



Giant Kiwi rugby prop saves her life but cracks her rib in the process...






Giant Kiwi rugby prop saves here life and cracks her rib in the process...



One Dunedin diner credits Highlanders skipper Jamie Mackintosh with saving her life, though he cracked her rib in the process.



Wendy Knight started choking on a piece of steak when she was having dinner with her family at the Dunedin Lone Star restaurant.



"I thought I was going to die ... I really did," the 44-year-old told the New Zealand Herald.



"It was totally my fault. It got caught in the back of throat and I couldn't get it to go down or bring it back up again."



Unable to breathe, she felt someone behind her perform the Heimlich manoeuvre, which dislodged the offending piece of meat.




It turned out to be Mackintosh, who was dining with fellow Highlanders Tony Brown, Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Smith and Jarrad Hoeata at the time.



She then vomited.



"I didn't know who it was. I didn't know where they came from ... I didn't even get a chance to say thanks."



Though she didn’t know who Mackintosh was before the incident, she said she was now "his number one fan".



"He probably saved my life."



Mackintosh told the Herald he had never had any medical training, but knew what to do in the event of someone choking.



"I obviously buggered it up if I cracked her rib," he said. Jamie Mackintosh is a former All Black, born and bred in the deep south of New Zealand's Southland Province, and a member of the Highlanders Super Rugby franchise for a number of years.



Acknowledgements. NZ Herald/ Msn Sports


Community Bloggers Evolve


My Likes



The Blogfrog

No comments: